Driver strategy - we need to decide among incompatible goals

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Thu Aug 15 17:46:14 UTC 2019

Eric S. Raymond via devel writes:
> The OnCore already is mostly supported.  What's missing is that GPSD
> can't do site-survey mode for the M12 timing variant. These are long
> since EOL but still available on e-Bay for cheap, as boards with
> TTL-level outputs; you have to do systems integration yourself,
> including level shifters and 1PPS-to-DCD and a powered antenna.  This
> page
>
> https://www.dellanave.com/projects/carpc/oncore_gps.php
>
> tells you what's required.

Again, drop-in replacements for the M12 as well as receivers in
different form-factor with M12 compatible protocol are widely available,
both new and used, and are probably the most cost-effective timing-grade
modules you can get.  One of those, the Furuno GT8536, was the king of
the hill when it comes to PPS timing precision (both without and with
sawtooth correction) until very recently.  The uBlox-F9 slightly bests
it when you actually use it as dual-band receiver at least, but the
Furuno is still a bit cheaper (by a factor of three, actually; and not
counting the antenna).

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER: