Replacing python ntpc submodule using ctypes/ffi

James Browning jamesb.fe80 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 12:57:36 UTC 2019

I have set up a branch replacing the current Python version-specific
ntp.ntpc with a language-agnostic foreign function interface stub point
and a version agnostic Python ntp.ntpc using cytpes.

On build, it produces a single shared library 'libntp.so' in the ntpd
sub^n-directory and a now neat Python module in the adjacent pylib
directory.

The intention is to speed up the compilation of multiple version of the
Python module. The current implementation requires recompilation of the
entire tree. I think soon that a reasonable meta-build system could
build the tree once, install and then link in new Python versions as
desired. Also, it would allow for the authoring of third party non-
Python clients.

At this point, I am looking for constructive criticism. I am posting this
here because I feel this would be impactful and non-trivial. I must admit
I am unaware of the impactfulness of my submissions.

tdr; merge request -> https://gitlab.com/NTPsec/ntpsec/merge_requests/1010

branch -> https://gitlab.com/jamesb_fe80/ntpsec/tree/ctype