logging

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Mon Apr 15 18:08:31 UTC 2019

Udo van den Heuvel via devel writes:
>> Was the switch to using HPET recent?
>
> hpet must have been the default until it wasn't or at least tsc stopped
> being stable.

HPET hasn't been the default since at least a decade.  It only gets used
if TSC is unstable (generally on older hardware in conjunction with
power management), which apparently it wasn't at the recent boot(s).  If
you still have the logs from booting with the older kernel, look up
where it calibrates the clock sources at boot and see if there (and if
yes, what) are the differences.

Ryzen is supposed to have a stable (invariant) TSC that Linux should
use.  I have found some hints that certain systems have an unstable TSC
during boot (and that was dependent on the system manufacturer and the
BIOS).  That was for Ryzen 1, while you have a Ryzen 2 IIRC.  I haven't
found anything that looks like your problem yet.

Regards,
Achim.