logging

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Sat Apr 13 13:29:17 UTC 2019

Udo van den Heuvel via devel writes:
> Fedora 29, kernel.org 4.19.30. (my compile)

Is this a "tickless" kernel perhaps?  If so, try "nohz=off" on the
kernel command line in the boot manager and see if that helps.

> AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with Radeon Vega Graphics

While Raven Ridge should fully work with 4.19, there were mutiple fixes
for covering all sorts of things in later kernels.  I'm not sure how
many of these got backported by the Fedora folks, but you might want to
check a distribution with a more modern kernel (an openSUSE Tumbleweed
live imgae for instance).

> on Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING motherboard.

Raven Ridge on Linux is also well known to have interactions with
certain mobo and/or BIOS features.  There are a number of functions that
can be controlled essentially from outside the CPU and if the OS doesn't
know about them (like missing or wrong ACPI entries), "interesting"
things might occur.  So again, check and maybe switch off anything in
the BIOS aimed at performance/overclocking, preferrably after getting
the latest BIOS installed.

> clocksource is fixed at hpet since the previous situations where clock
> sync was weird/gone/etc.

That likely wasn't your real problem then, and switching to HPET just
has made it less easy to detect.

--

Achim.