ntpq flakiness

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Wed Apr 10 21:34:34 UTC 2019

Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>:
> I only started seeing it recently.  It's probably because my DSL line has gone
> flaky.  I don't remember any recent changes to ntpq, but it seems worthwhile
> to inquire.

I haven't touched that code in many months.

I do remember that there was a very old issue with flaky behavior of ntpq
over WiFi that we thought might be due to a bug in the fragment reassembly
code.  Unfortunately, though I searched diligently for such a bug, I never
detected even a bad smell there.

I'm still suspicious there might be such a problem, though.  And wonder
if this might be related to it.