What's the best way to fix warnings from unused result

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Sun Apr 7 08:12:13 UTC 2019

Hal Murray via devel writes:
> I don't know or care which version we get.  It's different on different
> systems, so to save the result then say UNUSED_LOCAL gets slightly complicated.

  Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)):

       strerror_r():
           The XSI-compliant version is provided if:
           (_POSIX_C_SOURCE >= 200112L) && !  _GNU_SOURCE
           Otherwise, the GNU-specific version is provided.

I think ntpsec strives for POSIX compliance, so if you get the GNU
version on a system  that has the XSI version that'd be an error with
how the feature test macros are supplied.

Similarly, if there are supported versions that only provide the GNU
signature, you'd need to encapsulate the type in something that depends
on the result of the configuration tests.

Regards,
Achim.