TCP Timeouts

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Apr 4 18:25:19 UTC 2019

> Assuming this isn't blocking the daemon generally, I'd probably leave it to
> the default. I can't immediately come up with a justification as to why
> NTS-KE is different from other TCP protocols. I'm not very confident in this
> answer, though, so take this with a grain of salt.

There shouldn't be any impact on the main ntpd thread processing NTP packets.

On the client side, there is only one thread doing DNS lookups and NTS-KE.  A
long timeout delays working on other servers.  In particular, it may increase
startup delays.

On the server side, there are 2 threads, one for IPv4 and another for IPv6.  A
long timeout delays other clients.  That's probably not significant at low
loads.  It will turn into a DDoS when the load increases.