ntpq quirks

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Sep 21 09:02:15 UTC 2018

> # Requests are automatically retried once, so total timeout with no
> # response is a bit over 2 * DEFTIMEOUT, or 10 seconds.

Thanks.  That sounds reasonable, but I can't translate that into what I'm
seeing.

Did you check the code?  Does it bail on the second timeout?  Is there an
extra retransmission layer in the mru code?  ...

I'm sending lots of packets.  I expect some to get lost.  If enough get lost
to add hours to the run time, then the chances of a single retransmission also
getting lost seem pretty high.

I guess the next step is to add a bunch of counters and print them out at the
end of the command.