PYTOGO

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Tue Sep 18 22:49:48 UTC 2018

Yo Richard!

On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 17:04:31 -0500
Richard Laager via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> I'm doing some digging, and from what I can see Debian/Ubuntu added
> support for shared linking Go libraries and then removed it a couple
> years later.
> conclusive/authoritative answer.

I looked at my Gentoo Go binaries.  The typical binary in /usr/bin
is maybe 1kB to 50kB.  Only the rare file, like tcpdump is over
1MB.

All binaries in /usr/lib/go/bin/ are over 1MB, often past 10MB.  But
when 2 TB is $99 is this a problem?

I do agree that if all /usr/bin became go, that would be a PITA, unless
all the binaries where really one binary, like busybox.  But if all
my daemons (httpd, mysql, ntpd, cups) were Go that would not be a big
deal to me.  Even on a RasPi.

On Gentoo they are all linked with just these libs:

	linux-vdso.so.1
	libpthread.so.0
	libc.so.
	/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2