PYTOGO

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Mon Sep 17 22:04:30 UTC 2018

Yo Hal!

On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 14:53:27 -0700
Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> > If they are written in Go, they are compiled to binary executables,
> > and you do not need Python (nor a Go compiler) to run them.
>
> Thanks.  But we still need libraries.  What makes the Python
> interpreter/whatever different from a library?

Nope.  From the Golang FAQ:

    Why is my trivial program such a large binary?

    The linker in the gc toolchain creates statically-linked binaries
    by default. All Go binaries therefore include the Go runtime, along
    with the run-time type information necessary to support dynamic type
    checks, reflection, and even panic-time stack traces.