LKM Timemark Driver

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Sat Sep 8 18:46:54 UTC 2018

MLewis via devel writes:
> However, I was using my M8T alternately on my Windows box through USB
> for power & data (Lady Heather), and on my Pi using the UART RX/TX on
> the GPS breakout board, getting power from a power-only USB cable. As
> the M8T was going to be dedicated to the Pi from now on, when moving
> it over to the Pi I installed a Mini-B USB plug connector onto the +
> and ground leads from the Pi header to get power from there to the
> breakout board. Plugged in, the Pi crashed with LEDs out and the
> plastic on the header end of the leads started melting. Unplugged, the
> USB socket on the breakout board was very hot. While it cooled down, I
> re-checked the continuity on the Mini-B USB plug. No shorts. Checked
> the internet. The seller I got the Mini-B pinout from had a new pinout
> on their site, with the order reversed.

Well, reminds me of my 5 FTDI converters that were all jumpered to
supply 3.3V as I need except for that one I grabbed when setting up a
GPS module in a place where there wasn't quite enough light to make the
error obvious until I had connected everything.  Luckily in this case
the output on the GPS module still works, although it can't drive longer
cables anymore.

> With the + and ground swapped to match the new pinout, the GPS module
> would power up, and after after a typical delay, the board's PPS LED
> would flash. The Pi booted fine. Only the GPS module wouldn't
> communicate with the Pi, neither powered from the header nor from
> power-only USB cable. Moved back to the Windows box, the GPS module
> wouldn't communicate with it either. So the coms on the board and/or
> the GPS module itself is fried. The RX/TX ports on the Pi may be fried
> too. Retested since the weekend, still no coms.

The ports on the Pi are probably still OK (you can test for that by
jumpering RX directly to TX and see if that gets you a loopback in a
terminal program connected to the serial device).  The GPS serial
outputs may not be salvageable, though.

Regards,
Achim.