LKM Timemark Driver

MLewis mlewis000 at rogers.com
Fri Sep 7 00:07:44 UTC 2018

Update.

Development of this LKM was going really well.

However, I was using my M8T alternately on my Windows box through USB
for power & data (Lady Heather), and on my Pi using the UART RX/TX on
the GPS breakout board, getting power from a power-only USB cable. As
the M8T was going to be dedicated to the Pi from now on, when moving it
over to the Pi I installed a Mini-B USB plug connector onto the + and
ground leads from the Pi header to get power from there to the breakout
board. Plugged in, the Pi crashed with LEDs out and the plastic on the
header end of the leads started melting. Unplugged, the USB socket on
the breakout board was very hot. While it cooled down, I re-checked the
continuity on the Mini-B USB plug. No shorts. Checked the internet. The
seller I got the Mini-B pinout from had a new pinout on their site, with
the order reversed.

With the + and ground swapped to match the new pinout, the GPS module
would power up, and after after a typical delay, the board's PPS LED
would flash. The Pi booted fine. Only the GPS module wouldn't
communicate with the Pi, neither powered from the header nor from
power-only USB cable. Moved back to the Windows box, the GPS module
wouldn't communicate with it either. So the coms on the board and/or the
GPS module itself is fried. The RX/TX ports on the Pi may be fried too.
Retested since the weekend, still no coms.

So I'm dead in the water until my new M8T arrives.
I can get another Pi in town in hours.

Michael