pipefail doesn't work on NetBSD or FreeBSD

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Nov 30 06:08:12 UTC 2018

>> ./tests/option-tester.sh: 98: ./tests/option-tester.sh: PYTHONPATH:
>> parameter not set

> Weird.  Stupid shell.  Just test that PYTHONPATH exists before trying to echo
> it.

Actually, there is already a test.  That's where it is dying.

I assume we can unset whatever it is called.

------

> Good.  Then this may be the workaround for pipefal:
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/13084352/how-to-implement-set-o-pipefai=
> l-in-a-posix-way-almost-done-expert-help-nee

We have a policy of no hacks around POSIX bugs.  The referenced we page looks
pretty ugly to me.

How about adding a comment to the code saying "If this doesn't work, you have
a buggy sh and you have to check the results by hand"