SINGLESOCK - How much to strip away?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed May 30 06:58:00 UTC 2018

Focusing on the single in SINGLESOCK...

That doesn't work in FreeBSD.  (see my previous message about no IP_PKTINFO)
Is that fatal?

Even if we have a single socket, do we still need to track interface changes?
 If so, should we be discussing how to clean up that code?

-------

The interface configuration command has two cases: specify by interface name
and specify by IP address.  The IP address stuff is simple.  Or at least
simpler.  We don't have to worry about tracking interfaces.

  If you were an admin and wanted to take packets from the red cable and
ignore packets from the blue cable, how would you set things up?  Would you
filter by interface name or IP Address?

Are the cases where we want to use -I or the interface configure commands a
subset of our total target that doesn't need interface tracking?  I think
that may work if you have static IP Addresses and filter by IP address rather
than interface name.  If you use DHCP, I think you need interface tracking.