Why admin's do not trust daemons to do their own packet filtering (was Re: Resuming the great cleanup)

Ian Bruene ianbruene at gmail.com
Tue May 29 22:50:06 UTC 2018

On 05/29/2018 03:54 PM, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Ian Bruene via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>:
>> I've skimmed through some of the code associated with these features during
>> deglobalization. It /needs/ to be cleaned up one way or another. Cleaning it
>> with a scythe is all the better.
> Hmmm.  You may have talked yourself into a job, apprentice.  Because you
> are absolutely right, and more motivated than I knew.

I may have over-exaggerated slightly..... but see below.

> I was going to do SINGLESOCKET myself, but now that I think about it
> that would be almost the next logical C task for you.  I say "almost"
> because it's more challenging than I would have picked in an ideal
> world; OTOH you haven't screwed up anything I've thrown at you yet.
> (Which fact is pretty impressive, by the way.)
>
> Are you up for trying?  "No" is an acceptable answer - I'm not certain
> you're ready for this myself.

Yes, though I can't guarantee I won't be screaming for help at 10%
completion. Also it won't start till after SELF as this does not need to
be happening right before a release, and Hathi / SELF-prep must have
priority.

> It would be what Marines call "good training" (evil laughter).

I can see the pile of broken industrial grade snark detectors already.

--
/"In the end; what separates a Man, from a Slave? Money? Power? No. A
Man Chooses, a Slave Obeys."/ -- Andrew Ryan

/"Utopia cannot precede the Utopian. It will exist the moment we are fit
to occupy it."/ -- Sophia Lamb

I work for the Internet Civil Engineering Institute <https://icei.org/>,
help us save the Internet from Entropy!