Resuming the great cleanup

Mark Atwood, Project Manager mark.atwood at ntpsec.org
Tue May 29 19:19:09 UTC 2018

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 11:15 AM Achim Gratz via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>
wrote:

> However, there is still value in the knowledge of which interface the
> packet came in so that ntpd can place different levels of trust
> depending on whether it's from a private (virtual) network segement, an
> internal or public network.  Also, this information would potentially be
> quite valuable to get a better grip on asymmetric network delays, which
> are dominating the residual timing error on many types of networks these
> days.
>
> Of course this can be done in various ways, among them tagging the
> packets, running multiple threads or even a fleet of DJB style mini
> daemons.

That would be an interesting and potentially useful feature.  But probably
better done with a from scratch implementation, instead of hammering the
existing userspace packet filter to do it.

(My own inclination is to do it with explicit and implicit flow tags, but
that is a dicussion to have in a year or two.)

..m

--

Mark Atwood
http://about.me/markatwood