Fedora 28 - python warnings

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Fri May 11 22:53:44 UTC 2018

Yo Richard!

On Fri, 11 May 2018 17:39:44 -0500
Richard Laager via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> On 05/11/2018 05:06 PM, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:
> > Odd, my Ubuntu 16.04, perl is a link.  Not sure why your Ubuntu is
> > not setup the standard Ubuntu way.  But that is getting off topic.
>
> I checked a couple more 16.04 systems and they don't use symlinks. So
> that is odd that we're seeing differences.

Your own example showed a hard link!  Not a hard link, a symlink.  We
are seeing the same thing!

> > Notice the 2?  That means it is a hard link.
>
> Yes, /usr/bin/perl and /usr/bin/perl5.22.1 are the same inode.

Yup, a hard link!  Could be a symlink, could be a hardlink, in this
case exactly same result.  /usr/bin/python needs to be a link, a
symlink, a hardlink, a loader, or whatever magic you  want, as long
as it performs to the Python documentation.

> > It is the python loader
> > that comes from the Python source code.
> Where can I find this in the Python source code?

I'm done sending pointers.  I already sent you all the links you need
to the very clear Python documentation.  If you think the Python
documentation is incorrect, or otherwise deficient, you need to take it
up with the Python folks.

> > My argument is to, no more, and no less, install Python as the
> > Python people designed it, documented and ship it.
>
> That's what Debian is doing in this regard.

Yes, exactly as Gentoo does.  Except the missing python -> python3.6.
That is REQUIRED by the doc links I already sent you.  So, broken.  A
broken install that does not conform to the Python documentation.

This is the NTPsec list.  If you have trouble installing Python to
do what the Python documentation says it should, then you need to
work it out with the Python people.

NTPsec follows Python convention as documented by the Python people.
That is all we need to know here on the NTPsec list.