Fedora 28 - python warnings

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Fri May 11 19:58:51 UTC 2018

Yo Richard!

On Fri, 11 May 2018 14:35:56 -0500
Richard Laager via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> On 05/11/2018 12:56 PM, Richard Laager wrote:
> > Better to fix '/usr/bin/env python' to return python3
> > (as it should) and then all properly written python programs will
> > work.
>
> Separately, even if you got this change, this would break all python
> 2.x scripts instantly.

Uh, say what?  At least in NTPsec and gpsd, all the python runs equally
well on python2, python3, and I hope all the other recent pythons out
there.

> Perhaps you intentionally exclude them as not
> "properly written", but I think that's a non-starter from a distro
> perspective.

I intentionally exclude them as out of scope for NTPsec and gpsd.
Discussion of generic language issues is out of scope here.  In scope
is following, and understanding, existing current practice and Python
documented behavior.

BTW, you asked my results for some sh commands.  What are your results?

I'm especially instered in this one:

$ ls -l /usr/bin/python