Fedora 28 - python warnings

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Fri May 11 18:25:35 UTC 2018

Yo Richard!

On Fri, 11 May 2018 13:13:53 -0500
Richard Laager via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> On 05/11/2018 01:07 PM, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:
> > As I said, fix '/usr/bin/env python'.  That is what the Python
> > people want.
>
> That'd be a huge change in how /usr/bin/env works.

Uh?  For who?  That is how it works on all the machines I run.

> Setting that aside
> for a moment,

Uh, let's not.  That is the whole point of how almost everyone runs
Python.

I think these sort of explain it:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2429511/why-do-people-write-the-usr-bin-env-python-shebang-on-the-first-line-of-a-pyt#2429517

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/tutor/2007-June/054816.html

> where are you seeing that the Python project wants this
> solution?

To start with:

https://docs.python.org/3.3/using/windows.html

> The Python documentation says that the Python 3 executable name is,
> for example, "python3.6":
> https://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/interpreter.html

Yes, of course.

> and not "python", to avoid conflicting with Python 2:
> https://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/interpreter.html#id2

Actually, on Gentoo, and most other distro I use: NOTHING is installed
as 'python'.  So you got lost again.