How do I fix a typo in a git commit comment?

Mark Atwood fallenpegasus at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 01:01:10 UTC 2018

We can accumulate a list of typos and gltiches in the history.   We will
wait until something major, or it gets long enough, and then we can fix
them all in one force push.

In the meantime, for this typo, code up adding a comment to the relevant
code about the typo, then commit the change with a commit comment that
references the incorrect commit text.  That will stamp it into the history.

..m

On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 5:28 PM Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>
wrote:

> rlaager at wiktel.com said:
> >> Are there any alternatives?
> > See `git notes` to attach notes to objects (e.g.
> > commits) after the fact without changing the object itself.
>
> > Using the example from the man page, try something like this:
> >  git notes add -m 'The 674 should be 474.' c8c888f8
>
> Thanks.
>
> That gives me a local note, but git push doesn't do anything and git clone
> doesn't copy it.
>

> --
> These are my opinions.  I hate spam.

Mark Atwood