Odds and ends

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Jun 6 11:00:48 UTC 2018

I occasionally add msyslog lines when debugging.  The DPRINTF stuff isn't
interesting - too much junk I don't want.  When I'm cleaning up, should I
disable them with "if (0)", or delete them?  Is there a better way? ...

Some/many of the prototypes in our header files are not very useful.  I think the problem is the lack of names on the parameters.  If the types are all different, that's enough, but if there are several integer parameters that doesn't help.  Here is an example:
extern  int     clocktime       (int, int, int, int, int, time_t, uint32_t, uint32_t *, uint32_t *);

There is still some broadcast/multicast stuff around.  grep for CAST will find them.  Should we leave enough around so that our ntpq can decode things when talking to old servers?  If so, I vote we move them to ntpclients/

Some of the counters that ntpq can display get written to a log file every hour.  That resets the counters so ntpq can only see what has happened since then rather than the totals since startup.  We should probably maintain and display both.

It would be nice if ntpq would show something if a server is using authentication.  I'd be willing to steal a character from the name column.

The code for freeing up key strings zeros them out first.  How do we do that in python or go?