SINGLESOCK - How much to strip away?

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Tue Jun 5 22:29:22 UTC 2018

Yo Hal!

On Tue, 05 Jun 2018 14:56:18 -0700
Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> Gary said:
> > But in the case of ntp.conf, the 'interface' is taking IPv4
> > addresses, IPv6 addresses, and hostnames.  So the ntp.conf
> > 'interface' has nothing at all like an interface.  It is an
> > address.
>
> Are you sure about that?

Nope.  And, I was sure, but wrong, before.

The man page does say:

       In these commands, an address can be any of (a) an IPV4 address in
       a.b.c.d format, (b) an IPV6 address in [a:b:c:d:e:f:g] format, (c) a
       link-local IPV6 address with an interface specified in
                                       ^^^^^^^^^
       [a:b:c:d:e:f:g]%device format, or (d) a DNS hostname.

But on re-re-reading it, that 'interface' is not the same as 'interface'.

Good grief...

> I think that "name" in that context refers to an interface name
> rather than a host name.

Another part of the man page agrees with you:

   interface [listen | ignore | drop] [all | ipv4 | ipv6 | wildcard | name
	      | address[/prefixlen]]
[...]
    That parameter specifies a class of addresses, or a specific
    interface name, or an address.

So it can do either address[/prefix] or the name of an interface.
More weird....

> I poked around a bit and found:
>           const char *    if_name,        /* interface name or
> numeric address */

That would match the more specific part of the man page.  And makes it
even more confusing.   One keyword for two very different things.