SINGLESOCK - How much to strip away?

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Tue Jun 5 19:52:41 UTC 2018

Yo Matthew!

On Tue, 5 Jun 2018 15:02:38 +0000
Matthew Selsky via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 05, 2018 at 05:20:56AM -0400, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> > Matthew Selsky <Matthew.Selsky at twosigma.com>:
> > > I guess I'll replace -I with this in ntp.conf:
> > >
> > > interface listen 127.0.0.1
> > > interface listen ::1
> > > interface listen address
> > >
> > > This means that I'll need to template /etc/ntp.conf instead
> > > of /etc/default/ntp... no big deal. As long as I get a
> > > deprecation warning, etc.
> >
> > That'll work unti "interface" goes away.  But it means "interface"
> > can't go away until SINGLESOCK is implemented.
>
> What does a "bindaddr" keyword get us that "interface" doesn't?

The address can move between interfaces.  The address could be on more
than one interface at the same time.  There could be many different
adresses on one interface, and you only want one of them.  If the
interface is a USB/Ethernet then every time you reconnect the interface
it may have a different name.