SINGLESOCK - How much to strip away?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Jun 3 02:36:20 UTC 2018

> Hal, can you check the assertion about FreeBSD?  Do we have a NetBSD system
> to test on?

>> I can't think of why we actually need it.  I would have to scan
>> the code to look.
> If you have the bandwidth, please do check that premise.

I really want to get away from the SINGLESOCK stuff and finish some crypto
work.  I'm not good at multitasking.

I have FreeBSD and NetBSD systems.  We can try setting up ssh access.  You
should work on access that doesn't depend on me.

This is a good opportunity for you to scan the interface changing code.  The
case I know about is forgetting state (round trip time) if an interface goes
away.  That's conservative.  I don't know what happens if you don't forget
that stuff.  You can try it on a PC.  Just unplug the ethernet.

---------------

In the longer term, the project should have access to a set of boxes on the
net for live-traffic testing.  Somebody should think about what OSes/distros
we need.

It's $5/month for a low end cloud server that is perfectly adequate for our
needs.  I haven't looked carefully.  I'm sure some support FreeBSD.  I don't
remember seeing NetBSD.  I think I saw something that let you provide a URL
to boot from.  Mumble.  I'm sure somebody here knows more about this stuff
than I do.

Running on raw hardware would be better but more complicated.  You need hands
on occasionally.

Both FreeBSD and NetBSD run on Raspberry Pi,