git/gitlab merge request lesson please

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Wed Jul 18 21:16:08 UTC 2018

Yo Hal!

On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 14:09:32 -0700
Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> > @hal.murray can you review and approve this?
>
> What's the work flow for reviewing a merge request?

We're sortta making it up as we go along.

> I assume I do a git pull of some magic URL,

Nah.  Just go to the MR page and look a the git diff there.  No need to
pull.

If you do feel the need to live test the code, just pull the normal
git repo, then change to the correct MR branch.

  git pull
  git checkout BRANCH

> and if I like it, go back
> and poke the Approve button.

Yup.

> But what if I don't like it.

You add a comment that explains you dislike.

> How do I back out of the pull?

Just checkout git head: git checkout mater

> Do I
> have to clone my working copy so I can throw it away?

Is you have changes in your local copy, then do a git stash.