Additional pps-gpio

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Sun Jan 28 06:43:32 UTC 2018

Hal Murray via devel writes:
> It may be easier to experiment with a real serial port since it would be easy
> to pick one of the output modem control signals.

Well, that assumes you do have a serial port available that even has
these signals connected.

> With gpio we could make the dtoverlay line take 2 pin numbers.  It shouldn't
> be a big deal, but it's another complication.  As a hack, we could just use
> the next pin number.  I think the hardware is safe if you pick a wrong pin
> number.  If the dtb isn't setup right, the gpio bit isn't connected to the
> output pin.

You've lost me.  Are you talking about something that exists and only
has not supporting DT overlay or are you talkning about some
hypothetical driver?

> The other hack we would need to to is patch the code in ntpd that sets up the
> PPS stuff not to turn off the edge it doesn't need so the output pin can get
> reset to be ready for the next time.

I think it would be way easier to just use the SHM interface and do all
the setup in some separate daemon or program and leave ntpd to just deal
with the measurement results.  But maybe I don't understand what you're
after.

Regards,
Achim.