Request for data / ntpsnmpd report

Ian Bruene ianbruene at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 15:31:40 UTC 2018

I finally tracked down where root_distance is created. ntpd/ntp_proto.c
line 2130 function root_distance.

However it is a function internal to ntp_proto.c, not mentioned in
header files. And as far as I can tell the values generated from it are
only ever used inside the functions in that file, not saved.

ntpsnmpd requires this data. As I am unfamiliar with the C code, and
this is a particularly delicate portion I am unwilling to poke it
without confirming with others first. Solutions I can see to get the
data out of ntp_proto.c are:

* save the data. Requires changes to the peer struct. Could easily
become stale (I do not know how often the peer filtering happens).

* expose the root_distance function. I am unsure of the total extent of
the needed changes, but they will be scattered across several files.

--
/"In the end; what separates a Man, from a Slave? Money? Power? No. A
Man Chooses, a Slave Obeys."/ -- Andrew Ryan

/"Utopia cannot precede the Utopian. It will exist the moment we are fit
to occupy it."/ -- Sophia Lamb