Install tangle

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Mon Jan 15 22:14:33 UTC 2018

On 01/15/2018 03:59 PM, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 15:47:02 -0600
> Richard Laager <rlaager at wiktel.com> wrote:
>
>> On 01/15/2018 03:39 PM, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:
>>> My understanding is that /usr/local/lib*/python*/dist-packages
>>> should NEVER exit. dist-packages is only for Debian distro use, and
>>> the distro stuff is always in /usr, not /usr/local/
>>
>> This is incorrect.
>
> Weird.  Isn't distro stuff supposed to ONLY go in /usr, not in /usr/local?

I was disagreeing with: "dist-packages is only for Debian distro use".

I agree with, "distro stuff is always in /usr, not /usr/local/".

>> More importantly, the same document explicitly says, "Note that
>> /usr/local/lib/pythonX.Y/dist-packages is in sys.path so that modules
>> not installed from Debian packages can still be accessed by the system
>> Python."
>>
>> -- https://wiki.debian.org/Python#Deviations_from_upstream
>
> Weird.  If not installed from Debian packages that is in conflict to
> dist-packages being system only?

dist-packages is not system only.

/usr/lib/pythonX.Y/dist-packages is system/distro only.
/usr/local/lib/pythonX.Y/dist-packages is for local use.

This is the same as:
/usr/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages is system/distro only.
/usr/local/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages is for local use.

Which is the same as:
/usr/bin is system/distro only.
/usr/local/bin is for local use.

--