Install tangle

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Mon Jan 15 21:47:02 UTC 2018

On 01/15/2018 03:39 PM, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:
> My understanding is that /usr/local/lib*/python*/dist-packages should
> NEVER exit. dist-packages is only for Debian distro use, and the distro
> stuff is always in /usr, not /usr/local/

This is incorrect.

I think you're basing a lot of this on the name "dist-packages". But
dist-packages is simply a renaming of site-packages. The purpose of this
renaming "is to reduce conflict between the system Python, and any
from-source Python build you might install manually."

More importantly, the same document explicitly says, "Note that
/usr/local/lib/pythonX.Y/dist-packages is in sys.path so that modules
not installed from Debian packages can still be accessed by the system
Python."

-- https://wiki.debian.org/Python#Deviations_from_upstream

--
Richard