Install tangle

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Jan 15 06:28:37 UTC 2018

> Assuming this is a newly-installed system, /usr/local/lib/python2.7/
> dist-packages does not exist. Since it does not exist, it does not show up
> in sys.path.

Thanks.  That's the example I was looking for.

There is another example based on that which is when the user doesn't
actually intend to install things.  Maybe he wants to try the latest ntpq and
is happy to run it out of the build directory.

> If you follow through with the ./waf install, it will create /usr/local/lib/
> python2.7/ntp and put the ntp module files there.

Is there a reasonable way to tell if /usr/local/whatever would be on sys.path
if it existed?

> Setting PYTHONPATH or creating a .pth file is unnecessary. Why should I have
> to do that when it would have worked fine without it?

I assume touching the directory would work.  Yes, it's ugly.

> Warning is fine, as I can ignore a warning.

Does waf have good support for warnings?  It prints out enough stuff that I'm
worried about warnings getting lost.

We still have to document what to do if you get the warning.

The question is does a fatal error (bail) clarify things overall enough to
inconvenience Debian users in this case.