Catching up

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Mon Jan 8 20:46:18 UTC 2018

Yo Hal!

On Sun, 07 Jan 2018 19:22:30 -0800
Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> >> I don't think running directly out of the source tree is very
> >> interesting.
>
> > OTOH, a bunch of programs, like ntplogtemp, that used to be able to
> > run in tree, no longer can.  I think that is our loss.  Creeping
> > complexity for no real user benefit.
>
> Sometimes life is tough.
>
> python ntpclients/ntplogtemp.py works for me.
> (after I comment out the must-be-root check)

Yeah, because you have the NTPsec python library installed somewhere.

ntploggps.py line 48

    import ntp.util

That got added just to add a version to ntploggps.  But it is not
really the ntploggps version, it is the library version, so very misleading.

waf should be putting the version in ntploggps, then it will mean
something, and can run standalone

    import ntp.util

That got added just to add a version to ntploggps.  But it is not
really the ntploggps version, it is the library version, so very misleading.

waf should be putting the version in ntploggps, then it will mean
something, and can run standalone.

> PS: No return on the "You must be root!" message.

Yeah, I'm not sure how that got started.  Seems to me we should do
all possible to allow as much non-root functionality as possible, not
the opposite.