rasPi Stretch Lite install notes

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Jan 8 20:27:31 UTC 2018

> To be somewhat nicer to the SD card I think of moving the ntpd statistic
> logs to a tmpfs and then periodically moving them to permanent storage

I did something like that ages ago.  I don't remember why I stopped.  Most
likely it just fell through the cracks.

I keep daily log files.  I think I modified the start script to copy the
latest day to the tempfs and the stop script would copy it back and an hourly
cron job would also copy it back and delete older files.

It would be worth doing the arithmetic to see how long a SD card should last
at normal logging rates.

The logging code currently includes a flush.  A few lines of code could batch
that.