We need more testing

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Jan 8 02:41:17 UTC 2018

Was: Subject: Re: What packet modes do we support?

Eric said:
>> Context is I'm working on documentation.  Often, I'm removing
>> stuff that is no longer relevant.  Sometimes that requires checking
>> the code.  Some of the code needs cleaning up too.  I think - maybe
>> I just don't understand it yet.

> Good, somebody needs to do this.  And it needs to be somone with a not-Eric
> perspective. Can't think of a better fit than you.

We should have caught most of my edits before the release.

It's a good example of why I was arguing for a serious testing period before
a release.

Another example is your adding a TAG: to all the msyslog messages at the last
minute.  I have fixed quite a few of them.  Bogus tags won't cause a crash,
but it looks sloppy and can easily be misleading if a non-wizard is trying to
use them for debugging.  The TAG: stuff may have been a good idea, but doing
it at the last minute was poor timing.  I hate the sloppy aspect.  It just
makes us look bad.

What's on your must-do list for the next release?  Should we keep that in the
top of devel/TODO?