Crypto, passwords

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Jan 6 02:34:26 UTC 2018

> I'm not an expert in this sort of things, but I would suggest you at least
> change that to an HMAC.

Good suggestion.  Thanks.

Mostly, this code has to be backwards compatible.  It's setup to do digests:
  EVP_DigestInit_ex(...);      // setup for digest type
  EVP_DigestInit_ex(...);
  EVP_DigestUpdate(...);    // password
  EVP_DigestUpdate(...);    // packet
  EVP_DigestFinal_ex(ctx, digest, &len);

If we can find a digest type that does HMAC, it should just work.  None of
the supported digests include HMAC in their name, but there are things like:
#define NID_hmacWithMD5         797
#define NID_hmacWithSHA1                163
#define NID_hmacWithSHA224              798
#define NID_hmacWithSHA256              799
#define NID_hmacWithSHA384              800
#define NID_hmacWithSHA512              801

Unfortunately, they don't work.  Neither do sha nor mdc2 which are advertised
to work.

OpenSSL also has a HMAC mode similar to the Digest stuff.