Concluding the install path debate

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Fri Jan 5 23:03:42 UTC 2018

I'm okay with what's in master now.

On 01/05/2018 09:28 AM, Ian Bruene via devel wrote:
> Embedding the paths directly into the python programs works great, in
> all situations. Right up until it doesn't. One problem is that the
> Gentoo installation workflow is based around moving things around
> temporary directories several times during the process.

If a test step symlinks the ntp module into $PWD for whatever it tests,
it works both before and after !615.

If a test step prepends to PYTHONPATH in the environment for whatever it
tests, I now concede it would work before !615 but break after !615.

If a test step does neither of the above, it is broken before and after
!615.

In any other scenario, !615 is either a no-op or an improvement.

I have written a relatively formal proof of the above if you disagree.

!615 could be fixed for the middle case above, but would add more ugly code.

!615 fixes multiple installs co-existing (which Gary said was
important), but I don't particularly care to support that case, so I'm
fine abandoning !615.

--
Richard