Crypto, passwords

Matthew Selsky Matthew.Selsky at twosigma.com
Fri Jan 5 16:57:13 UTC 2018

On Fri, Jan 05, 2018 at 01:32:24AM -0800, Hal Murray via devel wrote:

> Does anybody use shared keys between NTP servers?

I do.  I use md5 keys on a private network, but I don't require clients to use them.

> What other types should we test and/or suggest people use?

The docs claim to support all of the hash algorithms supported by OpenSSL, but I've never tested that.

> ntpq needs a password to modify things.  (and examine some things)

When I use ntpq from Classic, I'm never prompted for a password.  I'm not sure if it's reading the key from /etc/ntp.keys on my behalf or not.

Thanks,
-Matt