prep for 1.0.1

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Feb 28 21:45:40 UTC 2018

> Are we comfortable with the 1.0.1 release on March 3rd?

I'm not.  My attempts at fixing #461 aren't working.

I think it should be simple.  I think I understand what the problem is, but I
don't understand why my attempts at fixing it aren't working.

The root of the problem is this (from the man page):
       EVP_MD_CTX_create() and EVP_MD_CTX_destroy() were renamed to
       EVP_MD_CTX_new() and EVP_MD_CTX_free() in OpenSSL 1.1.
(I think there should be similar text for init/reset.)

Deep in /usr/include/openssl/evp.h:
# define EVP_MD_CTX_create()     EVP_MD_CTX_new()
# define EVP_MD_CTX_init(ctx)    EVP_MD_CTX_reset((ctx))
# define EVP_MD_CTX_destroy(ctx) EVP_MD_CTX_free((ctx))

So old code that uses create/destroy should still work.

I tried to add the reverse logic so new code will work on old systems.

It's acting as though an ifndef is doing the wrong thing.  It's probably
something stupid like a typo, but I can't find it.  Similar code in
attic/digest-timing.c seems to work.  (or maybe the interesting cases all die
before they get that far)