What are people putting in /etc/ntp.d/*.conf?

Achim Gratz Stromeko at nexgo.de
Mon Feb 26 18:42:31 UTC 2018

Hal Murray via devel writes:
> esr at thyrsus.com said:
>> Gary and Mark asked me for something like such an Apache-like feature
>> because it makes life easier for configuration-assistant software and distro
>> packages.
>
> Is that true in our case?  It seems like it might be, but our config file is
> generally simple enough that a single text file seems reasonable and putting
> chunks in separate files makes things more complicated.

It makes things more complicated if you as a human keep everything in
order.  A single configuration file that has to be comprehended and
edited by automated config tools is more complictaed for a machine to
handle.

> I'd be a lot happier if we had one good example.  What other packages add on
> to ours in a way where adding to the config file would be useful?  Do we have
> any extensions at the package level?

There was a very good example in the thread: Having two distro packages set up
different aspects of the daemon operation without having to touch the
same set of files.  ANother one would be to drop in the key
configuration, maybe via some sort of deployment automation without
stepping on the distro-owned files.

Full disclosure: I am still using a single /etc/ntp.conf, partly with
old syntax, but that's down to inertia.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld: