1.0.1 and ntpsnmpd

Mark Atwood fallenpegasus at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 15:50:31 UTC 2018

Re ntpsnmpd

My inclination is to include it, but document it as experimental, but also
document in the release announcement as worth trying.

Does waf build it by default?

Does the Debian packaging have it be it's own package?

..m

On Sun, Feb 25, 2018 at 5:18 PM Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>
wrote:

> > You need to be running an SNMP daemon and an NTP daemon.
>
> I've got plenty of ntp servers to experiment with.
>
> >> Is there a HOWTO that tells me how to set things up?
> > I'll get to work on that.
>
> There may be two targets for that document.  One is SNMP wizards who don't
> know much about ntpd.  The other is NTP wizards who don't know much about
> SNMP.
>
> > "Why SNMP?" I'm not sure I can tell you much more that a few minutes of
> > quality time with a wiki could.
>
> There is a lot of stuff out there.  A few good URLs would help people like
> me
> get started.  I think "curated" is the right term.
>
> I assume I also have to setup a system to collect the data and show status
> or
> email alerts or whatever.  What do you call that?  I think there are
> several
> packages available.  Do they all support NTP?  Do they monitor NTP servers
> directly with NTP packets?
>
> At any rate, I/we need the HOWTO level info for setting up the NTP side
> and I
> need a HOWTO for getting the collection end off the ground.
>
> (In case it's not obvious, I don't mean you have to write them.  Links to
> existing info is fine.)
>
> --------
>
> In case it's not on your list...
>
> ntpd can monitor other ntp servers.  Just put "noselect" on a server line
> pointed at the system you want to monitor.  Then ntpq -p will give you a
> line
> of info and logging to peerstats and rawstats will get the normal data.
>

> --
> These are my opinions.  I hate spam.

Mark Atwood
http://about.me/markatwood