1.0.1 and ntpsnmpd

Ian Bruene ianbruene at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 23:46:12 UTC 2018

On 02/25/2018 04:39 PM, Hal Murray via devel wrote:
> devel at ntpsec.org said:
>> The only real blocker that I can see at this time is the need for broad
>> testing. [reiteration of me requesting testers / reviewers goes here.]
> Is there a HOWTO that tells me how to set things up?

I'll get to work on that.

> Actually, I need something before that.  Why is it interesting?  What will it
> tell me?  Why would I want to use it?

It will tell you the same information as mode 6 (more or less), but
through a different channel. Beyond that for the general question of
"Why SNMP?" I'm not sure I can tell you much more that a few minutes of
quality time with a wiki could.

For the specific relevance to NTPsec see this devlist mail:
https://lists.ntpsec.org/pipermail/devel/2018-January/005760.html

> What will it cost me?  (I know next to nothing about SNMP.)

You need to be running an SNMP daemon and an NTP daemon.

--
/"In the end; what separates a Man, from a Slave? Money? Power? No. A
Man Chooses, a Slave Obeys."/ -- Andrew Ryan

/"Utopia cannot precede the Utopian. It will exist the moment we are fit
to occupy it."/ -- Sophia Lamb