Future projects (post release)

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Wed Feb 21 18:05:01 UTC 2018

Ian Bruene via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>:

> Future project: refactoring ntpd's system variables into a struct.
>
> I've been looking at the code around mode 6 generation and discovered that
> in some areas it's still globals all the way down. Translating these globals
> will make future refactoring/translating easier.

Also a good plan.  And a good exercise for you.

We may not manage one big struct - there can be semantic reasons you might
not *quite* want to go there - but a small number of structs bundling
semantically related globals would be excellent.

Ian, this relates to what I was saying on IRC about not-quite-OO.
"Good" is packing variables into fields of shared-lifetime context
structures.  "Better" is using that process to notice what the
program's natural objects are, and carving that way.  The first
transformation is mechanical; the second requires taste and judgment.