Name clash

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Feb 16 22:08:23 UTC 2018

We have ntpd and ntpq that replace the programs with the same names from ntp
classic.

For testing, we install in /usr/local/ so we don't conflict with a system
version of ntp classic.  If you hack your search path, you get our code
rather than the system programs with the same names.

That works only because we install in /usr/local/ while the system version of
ntp classic gets installed in /usr/  What's going to happen if a distro
packages up our stuff and somebody wants to install both our code and ntp
classic?

How do other projects with similar name clashes handle things?

Are we setting ourselves up for problems tomorrow by hijacking the names to
make things convenient today?

There are similar problems with man pages.  Probably others that I can't
think of right now.