ntpEntStatPktModeTable.... what is it? (NTPv4-MIB)

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Feb 14 20:46:14 UTC 2018

   symetricactive(1),
   symetricpassive(2),
   client(3),
   server(4),
   broadcastserver(5),
   broadcastclient(6)

Those are close to the "mode" field in the packet.

client and server are mode 3+4.

symetricactive and symetricpassive are "peer, modes 1+2.
We don't send symetricactive mode any more and don't process symetricpassive.
We do answer a symetricactive with a symetricpassive - legacy.  (I think.)

We don't support broadcastclient.
We do support broadcastserver - legacy.

>From include/ntp.h
#define MODE_UNSPEC     0       /* unspecified (old version) */
#define MODE_ACTIVE     1       /* symmetric active mode */
#define MODE_PASSIVE    2       /* symmetric passive mode */
#define MODE_CLIENT     3       /* client mode */
#define MODE_SERVER     4       /* server mode */
#define MODE_BROADCAST  5       /* broadcast mode */

I think we answer mode 0 as a client mode.  It's probably some legacy stuff.

There should be counters, but I can't find them via ntpq or in the code.

It should be simple to just add the counters, but that area is tangled up
with a pile of stuff that I want to rip out.  The receive packet processing
goes through a double indexed table.

So I vote we punt on this for a while.  We should put it on the issue list as
a reminder.

If somebody thinks this is important, I'll take another look.