puthon curses on NetBSD

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Dec 11 22:45:11 UTC 2018

> Gary E. Miller via devel <devel at ntpsec.org>:
>> ntpmon should not required, but very strongly encouraged.  So test for
>> pythong curses, complain loudly when not found, but do not fail at that
>> point.

> +1

Why do you say that?

I don't care what the answer is.   That seems like the sort of code you like
to rip out or generalize so this is an opportunity to learn.

The current code tests for curses and if not found, it bypasses testing and
installing ntpmon.  It works, but seems ugly to me.  ctx.env['PYTHON_CURSES'
is set in pylib/wscrip, tested twice in wscript (install), and again in
wafhelpers/bin_test.py (testing).

Is curses special enough to deserve this treatment?  Should we test for the
other Python libraries we need?

As far as I know, the only thing special about curses is that NetBSD
distributes it as a separate package and I wasn't smart enough to install it
when installing python so ntpmon broke when we added bin-test to catch this
sort of problem.

Does anybody other than me care about ntpsec on NetBSD?