Leftover junk

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Fri Dec 7 19:31:18 UTC 2018

Yo Hal!

On Thu, 06 Dec 2018 23:28:27 -0800
Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> Eric said:
> >> So what we have is a run-time problem, not an install time
> >> problem.
> > Alas, I have to agree with this.
>
> Would you please say more.  I don't see any problem.

I'll try to explain the problem on Gentoo.  Gentoo allows you to
unstall multiple (over 7) different Python versions at the same
time, and flip between them.

What can happen is you install NTPsec while running Python 2.7.  Then
change the Python 3.6, try to run ntpmon.  Yu end up running the
just installed ntpmon, but it pulls in older ntp modules.  Much weirdness
ensues.

A trap that I, and others have fallen into.

> Gary said:
> > Gentoo can go either way.  Depends on multilib support.  multilib
> > support can be easily enabled/disabled, so you got many cases.
>
> Can you say more?  What's multilib?  How many versions do you get
> under normal/reasonable conditions?

I'm reluctant to describe gentoo in much detail.  This is not the
Gentoo-NTP list.  I just bring it up to illustrate that it is hard
to graps the breadth of ways that different UNIX systems do similar
tasks.  NTPsec needs to work with as many as possible without surprises.

multilib is a Gentoo feature that allows 32-bit and 64-bit static and
shared libraries to happily coexist on the same system.  Needless to
sya that gets arch specific.

If I had a Gentoo multilib system, I could easily have 14 different
sets of NTPsec python modules installed.

This is actually pretty common with Gentoo.  All responsible devs
keep a lot of Python versions around to do testing.  In other cases,
users find many Python programs only work with one specific version.

> > A lot of cases.  Every time I udpate to a new rev of Python in
> > Gentoo then the locations change, and the old stuff persists.
>
> Is this a Gentoo quirk?

Not a quirk, a very useful feature.  I some other distros have similar,
and others have serious problems with multiple versions, multiple arches,
etc.

> What does "rev" bind to?  2?  2.7?  2.7.15?

I have no idea what "rev" is?

> Fedora has many packages available in two versions.  Examples:
>   python2-dnf-4.0.9-1.fc29.noarch
>   python3-dnf-4.0.9-1.fc29.noarch
>
> On 64 bit Fedora:
>   PYTHONDIR                     :  /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages
>   PYTHONARCHDIR                 :  /usr/local/lib64/python2.7/site-packages
>
>   PYTHONDIR                     :  /usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages
>   PYTHONARCHDIR                 :  /usr/local/lib64/python3.7/site-packages

OK.  Looks similar.  Now multiply by 14.