Leftover junk

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Fri Dec 7 02:50:31 UTC 2018

Yo Hal!

On Thu, 06 Dec 2018 18:44:24 -0800
Hal Murray via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> Gary said:
> > Also happens when people play with different install options.
>
> > We have no way to know what the previsou installer did.  So no way
> > to undo it.  I don't see a way around that problem.
>
> I'm interested in the simple developer/tester case, aka me.  The user
> just does a simple install (default options) and then we change where
> things got installed and/or what got installed.  We know what we
> changed, so we know where to look for old cruft.

The only case in a long time would be the change from PYTHONDIR to
PYTHONARCHDIR.  I guess you could clean out the old stuff in PYTHONDIR,
but what if, like sometimes in Gentoo, that both are really the same place?

> > What I recently did to gpsd is to have all the client programs
> > check the modules versions before using the module.  Smoked out a
> > lot of old junk.
>
> I thought we discussed something like that a long time ago and
> rejected it.

Well, gpsd accepted it.  Seems to help a lot.

> Should we reconsider?  Seems like a good idea to me.

+1

> Would you invent an API version or use the version string from
> configure?  If the latter, short or EXTENDED?

gpsd had to add some new version strings.  The python modules already
had them, but the clients needed their own copy (not from a module) so
that they had something to test for.

I'd leave that up to the person doing it.