LKM Timemark Driver

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Tue Aug 28 12:14:22 UTC 2018

On 28-08-18 10:06, Hal Murray via devel wrote:
> Could somebody please review this discussion.  I'm trying to catch up.  I can
> follow most of the details, but I'm missing the big picture.
>
> What GPS device is involved?

U-blox.

e.g. https://www.csgshop.com/product.php?id_product=240

>  What does it actually
> do?

Receive concurrent multi GNSS.
Provide PPS to PC.
Provide timestamping from pulses sent back to the receiver.
Perhaps more.

>  I'm guessing it time stamps an input pin.  (Some other GPS unit does
> that.  I forget which one.)

Would be interesting to explain why we need ability to send pulses from
ntpd via kernel.

> Does the PPS logic on the Raspberry Pi use a counter to avoid interrupt
> latency?

Dunno.

> What does the proposed kernel mod do?  I'd guess grab a time stamp
> before/after flapping an output pin.

The 'PC' needs to know when the pulse is sent.
Then the time of pulse reception info is returned from the GPS receiver.
Combining both can help set time.

Udo