[ntp:hackers] u-blox reference clock driver

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 20 13:43:10 UTC 2018

Michael,

On 20-08-18 15:35, MLewis via devel wrote:
> I believe that a kernal patch is not the correct way to do that. It's
> too specific as it's only for some ublox modules.�

Weirder hardware has a driver in the kernel.. :-)
But I see no problem in the Loadable Kernel Module approach:

> I'm working on one now. Selectable triggers of Timemark 1, rising and
> falling, and Timemark 2, rising and falling, providing up to four
> timestamps for calculating four offsets, observing noise, etc., once the
> timestamps are back in user space.

What else could we do with the timemark functionality?
See what is suggested at
https://lists.ntpsec.org/pipermail/devel/2018-August/006447.html ?

> I'm held up deciding on the method of sending messages for each Trigger
> Timestamp from the kernel module back to user space.
> Looks like it should be a socket.

This is because the ublox doesn't know the time of origin I guess?
Maybe make it an elaborate PPS device that can also be read?

Udo