HOWTO: curses-dev dependency not handled correctly

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Tue Aug 7 03:39:07 UTC 2018

On 08/06/2018 10:00 PM, MIKE MAJOR via devel wrote:
> This evening I was reading through the Clockmaker script closer. I
> noticed that the prerequisite ncurses-dev is not a real debian package.
> I've read ahead in the HOWTO text and I see that later the package
> ncurses5-dev is asked to be installed.

Based on my testing (which notably was not on Raspbian), I expect that
ncurses-dev or libncurses-dev would result in the installation of
libncurses5-dev, but that ncurses5-dev will fail. That said, maybe
ncurses5-dev does work too.

As to which to use... It seems to me that it's advantageous to _not_
hard-code the version number whenever possible, as that makes the HOWTO
resilient across upgrades. That would argue for ncurses-dev or
libncurses-dev. On the other hand, plenty of things will change across
distro upgrades, so it likely doesn't matter that much.

--
Richard