Stratum 1 microserver HOWTO

Gary E. Miller gem at rellim.com
Wed Aug 1 19:47:29 UTC 2018

Yo Paul!

On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 12:40:14 -0700
Paul Theodoropoulos via devel <devel at ntpsec.org> wrote:

> On 8/1/2018 12:33 PM, Gary E. Miller via devel wrote:
> > Yeah, all that is needed is dd. Forget the rest.
>
> I 'spose. I find it convenient when burning test images while playing
> around with stuff just to move quickly - but at this point I should
> probably just throw a blanket "but maybe I'm an outlier" on
> suggestions like that :)

I'm an outlier the other way.  I've been using dd since the early 1980's
and never needed anything better.  The problem with the GUI's is you
have to keep relearning them.

> Ah yes - thanks for that, it reminds of a fix I need to add to the
> howto, where the current directory doesn't match up with the
> instructions. Off to edit!

Yea, also a big problem.  Especailly with all the 'sudo' madness.  Users
forget, or never knew, where they are relative to what they need.  I'd
like to see all the paths in the HOWTO to be full paths.

This is compounded by the fact the HOWTO does not install into the users
PATH.  Some users end up with 3 different versions of gpsd installed.
Without knowing it.